Saturday, November 26, 2011

Reflection #10

With such an emphasis on using technology in the classroom, I began to wonder: why aren't all standardized tests administered via computer?  It seems like it would be a simpler process.  Scores would be submitted instantly rather than being read by a computer.  Results could be issued earlier which might expedite funding decisions and some types of student placement.  On top of all that, using computers for standardized testing would promote and emphasize the use of technology in the classroom.

I have a couple of ideas as to why computers aren't used in this way.  First, perhaps it's more complicated than I realize to submit, graph, and sort scores.  I'll be the first to admit I'm not familiar enough with computer systems to know such intricacies.  I think the bigger issue might be availability.  While a lot of schools have a computers available for all students, a lot of schools don't.  To further compound the issue, there's scheduling.  How do teachers and staff work a schedule to get all of the kids into the computer labs?  It's a daunting thought.

I'm sure some tests are done online, but I'm curious what you think - why aren't all standardized tests done online?

3 comments:

  1. Do you think a reason why all the test are not on the done online is because the authority figures are worried about cheating? I know there are many students who are very capable of hacking computers, do you think these students will be more inclined to hack if the tests are online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth and Cassie,
    Actually our new superintendent of schools, Randy Dorn, has changed the system for administering the MSP test in our state. All grades 4th and above are required to administer parts of the test online. Each computer is equipped with the software for students to take the test. In fourth grade, students take the written portion of the test on paper because it is an essay, and in 3rd grade, we have the option of how we give the test because our students are so young. We chose to give the math portion on the computer and the reading portion on paper. The major reason for this change statewide is money. It is very expensive to produce and distribute all of the paper required for each test.
    Hope that answers your questions,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete