Saturday, November 26, 2011

Post #14

I read this article by Brad Flickinger.  Flickinger briefly reviews the history of computers - how they began as a million-dollar machine, housed only in the greatest schools, but then became common-place in the home.  Now, thanks to technology like the iPod touch, which allows internet access, students have computers in the palm of their hands, and technology will only continue to become more sophisticated from here.  Flickinger sees school technology becoming dominated by personal devises like this. 

2 comments:

  1. I read about this in the book "Outliers" by Malcom Gladwell. He also says in that book that people like Bill Gates were just lucky to have been born in that time to wealthy parents. This gave him access to the million dollar computers. Now students have access to the internet through $200 computers. Its fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this insight about personal technology as opposed to complex and unavailable machines. It is always great to know the history of the big bits of our lives.

    ReplyDelete