In a class tonight, we briefly discussed technology in education. As a music teacher, my professor has many opportunities to use technology in her class, but she's careful about how much tech she uses because she takes into consideration the amount of screen time her students have daily. Other classes use projectors and smart boards, as well as computers and TV's. This, combined with time watching TV or playing video games at home can add up to a lot of hours in front of a screen.
I think the key in this is moderation. The music teacher shouldn't avoid using technology in her classroom because other teachers use it more, but I think it's admirable that she is mindful of her tech use. This teacher prefers to focus on student demonstration, book reading, music listening and dancing or instruments.
Yes! I totally agree. Moderation is the key. Tech is just one of the many tools we have at our disposal. I think it could be easy for a teacher to get lost in a sea of technology hype. Great point to remind us all of. Thanks for the post.
ReplyDelete-Tatro