I think it's pretty safe to say that technology is becoming a more and more integral part of the classroom. Students work with technology all the time, and often are just as tech savvy as the teachers. I think now, teachers must embrace this, and use it as a teaching tool.
Should computer activities only be used as a reward? I don't think so. I think teachers should do their part to help integrate technology for their students. Make sure they can use Word and powerpoint. Teach them to blog. Teach them to GLOG! Instead of just putting up with change, embrace it.
I appreciate this post, Beth! As someone who is not so tech savvy myself, I have gone into this year and this class thinking technology is not important for the classroom, and that good old pen and paper should suffice. But students today are far more likely to learn and use technology than we were as students. Times are changing and teachers need to embrace that! -Camille
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your honesty in these posts Beth it is so great to read. I agree with your opinion here that we need to get past the idea that computer time should only be used as a reward. The computer programs and the technology that are available now to use on the computer gives us teachers a new way to have students access information in a way that they are comfortable with. Like we have been talking about over this semester the new generation of student thinks differently and are more dependent on technology than we can understand. Thus, embracing technology as a teacher to use as a supplement not just a reward with the right management techniques will be a vital part of a classroom.
ReplyDelete