Laptops in class - yes or no? I can't decide. There are quite a few pro's and con's!
Pro's:
- Neater note taking
- Easier organization
- Digital record keeping
- Centralized location of notes
Con's:
- Hard to copy diagrams into a word document
- Temptation to check Facebook or do other things
- Distracting to yourself and other students
And the list goes on.
Some professors discourage or completely outlaw electronic devices of any type in their classroom, while others encourage them. Each professor has their reasons for either choice, but I think ultimately, it comes down to the class. For example, a laptop in a biology lab or a painting class would be fairly useless. In a Bible history class, however, a laptop might save your wrist a lot of strain from the copious notes.
I agree - like everything there is a negative and a positive to the access of things. Laptops are a wonderful resource for students and teachers, they free up cramped spaces and allow for additional access to technology. Most classrooms only have a few computers so the students are limited to their availability. Having access to the laptops would provide an additional resource for all. ~JoDee
ReplyDeleteI totally struggle with the whole FB temptation when I have a laptop in class. I feel like I take better notes and retain the information so much better when I write them out. Also I get tempted to check my email when I have my laptop. I agree with you that it is hard to take a side in this debate. I think its best to let the kids choose and make it clear that if they are caught doing other things they will loose laptop privileges and be penalized grade wise.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great question Beth. I prefer to have my notes on my laptop. While yes I do get distrated by Facebook or Sports, I think the benefits are better then the drawbacks. However, would this temptation to use Facebook be too much for high school students? Would they be able to tune in enough to gain anything from the class? Also, I use the internet to find answers to questions the teacher asks in class that I otherwise wouldn't have. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Any thoughts?
ReplyDeleteBeth, to put this in perspective, think about this. When the students in your class are working in whatever career they have, will they have a choice of how they work? More than likely, they will have to email, create presentations, and attach documents through whatever medium their company requires. As a teacher, we always have to keep the perspective of what is going to most help our kids in the future, not what we are most comfortable with.I know...I'm slightly biased :)
ReplyDelete